View Single Post
Old 28-02-2012, 14:29   #10
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Expanding Foam as Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
I'm trying to figure out a way to insulate my workshop floor. Unfortunately before I had chance to place anything down prior to the workshop being erected has left me with a 3 inch gap between the floorboards and the concrete the workshop sits on.

I thought about putting some 50mm polystyrene sheets down and then making a false floor on top of this, but after consideration it doesnt seem practical.

My final thought is that i could block off both ends of the workshop, at the base, and drill some holes into the floorboards, then squirt expanding foam into the floor cavity.

Below the 6 inch concrete base is a layer of plastic sheeting, so its damp proofed.

I was thinking of using Gorilla Filler http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GORILLA-FI...#ht_978wt_1163

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Has anyone used this expanding foam? does it act as insulation?, does 750ml cover a large area?
I use this stuff all the time ,there are different types of expanding foam for different purposes .Gorilla filler foam is exactly that ,a filler with no thermal properties at all .Insulating expanding foam is about £11-15 per tin and you would need quite a few tins looking at the photo .Also drilling holes in the floor will only lead to patchy instalation and you could easily end up with too much in one area which WILL DEFINATELY lift the floor.Filling the void will lead to early rotting of the timbers not as quickly as usual as the timbers are treated but they will rot .Your best bet given the practicalities is to overlay 18mm ply sheeting over the boards and screwing them down keeping the joints tight to stop draughts .You will find this much more effective that trying to retro fit insulation .Wood is a natural insulator so you will definately notice a difference