View Single Post
Old 30-04-2012, 04:00   #11
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunday Times Rich List suggests UK's wealthiest defy recession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
What about highly profitable companies that move their production lines abroad to take advantage of cheaper pay rates abroad?it's not illegal and they have every right to do so but it's hardly ethical or moral.
Ethics and morality only matter to most businesses then it starts to hurt their bottom line. But companies that are profitable can't just stand still or they will be quickly overtaken by the competition. If your competitor moves its call centre to India you could take the moral high ground and say you are supporting British jobs and hope your customers don't go to your now cheaper competitor. Or you could just switch too.
In the end it's the consumers that decide, and price is normally the deciding factor. That's not to say that quality and customer service aren't important too.

Quote:
I'm rather fed up by the idea that because a business is profitable that the owners are entitled to treat their workforce like crap.That anything goes in the pursuit of profit.Once you start thinking that it's a short step to treating those who work for you badly.
It's a mistake because you eventually end up with a workforce that doesn't trust you,will not put themselves out to work harder than they do already or to work above and beyond for the company.But of course why worry?There are more where they came from.
You have the answer already, companies the treat their staff badly will have a less productive workforce. Therefore companies that treat their staff well will have a competitive advantage in the long run provided they get the other aspects of their business right.

Quote:
Also how many on that list actually earned the money.How many just inherited it?
Rich people get rich by providing something lots of people want or they inherit it from some who did.
Richard Branson didn't put a gun to my head when I signed up for broadband.
So he gets a tiny percentage of the money I pay each month, I get broadband and lots of people get employed in-between.