Thread: T3 Timeouts.
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2010, 00:31   #12
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: T3 Timeouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed2020 View Post
Thank you Seph. I see small fluctuations in downstream power all the time - usually of the order of 0.1 dBmV to 0.2 dBmV. If I sit and just keep hitting F5 I can see the figure change each time. Same thing happens with the downstream SNR. I gather these small fluctuations are normal though. The drop of nearly 2 dBmv in the space of a couple of days is the biggest I've ever seen though (I'm sorry to say I'm sad enough to monitor these things fairly closely, even when I have no problems ).

I shall start logging power levels over the next week or so. I take it there is no way I can get these values other than accessing the config pages via my browser? It would be nice if I could automate it so I can take regular readings throughout the day...

Something else occurs to me that may be relevant:

When we first moved into this property we had a lot of problems with the TV reception. We were told it was because we are a fair distance from the cabinet and the cable used was insufficient for that kind of distance. This meant power levels were too low (IIRC). We had a repull done (eventually) which left power levels to the modem too high so they had to come out and fit an attenuator. Not sure whether this has any bearing on the situation...

Ed.
The minor fluctuations are totally normal for this type of network.

A drop of 2 dBmv is also nothing to worry about IMO. Less noise amplified.

The bit I highlighted in blue is important. From that I take it you're in an ex-Telewest area where they provided each house with a private cable to the street box. So your SNR to the cabinet isn't the issue. But another house on the cabinet could be injecting noise for a number of reasons and this could affect your downstream speed when that happens - and everyone else's. Have you spoken to anyone else with VM service?

The power level too high? If you're a long distance from the cabinet he might have moved you up to a block with less attenuation. If the power went too high, he may have moved you up more than one block on the frame. IMO, it means he didn't really know what he was doing in some respects. There are amplifiers every 100m and if they're working properly, he should have needed to move you up in the frame. If they're not working properly, that could be where the problem lies.

Finally, the TV. You can go to the Menu/settings and see your power and SNR levels. They should be comparable with the broadband.

HTH

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote