View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 10:47   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Superhub 3 and Netgear Powerline problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsky View Post
Work around is to set the SH3 to modem mode and use an external router which is obviously not ideal.
It is absolutely ideal and what everyone should be doing if they a) want optimal performance and b) want all the devices on the network to work in harmony

You pay for what you get and isp's aren't going to spend the time and money in buying routers, investing in and testing features which they claim a high proportion of their customers won't use because they know anyone who is serious about networked usb storage, print servers, dns settings etc will just buy a proper router right off the bat. I had to have my own router back in 2001 because ntl only supplied modems but I have had the opportunity over the years as technology has changed to switch to a version of the shub as my old routers have become out dated but I haven't. I have always had my own proper router (most recently the Asus ac68u on offer for £110 atm fyi) and never once tried the shub in router mode because I know it would give me a head ache and stress me out. I have made many many posts over the years about this but suffice to say that when you invest in a proper router everything works properly, you never have any problems and your network runs smoothly with everything ticking away in the background no problem. I have got a large home network with many pc's, laptops, tablets, phones, TV's sky boxes, printers, NAS' etc all connected. Everything works perfectly all the time, I never have any connectivity issues and from a troubleshooting perspective, I know that on the one or two times a year the internet connection drops that it isn't a problem with the client or router and that it is an isp network outage because I am that confident about the equipment I have bought (a combination of Asus and Linksys routers, Linksys switches and every single wired device and room and connected with Belkin cat5e patch cables).

Just some friendly words of wisdom and advice. Nobody likes splashing out more money than they need to but many people such as yourself come on the forum having a little whinge about things like this and many of them get fed up and in the end they invest in a router and come back and say it is one of the best things they have ever done.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote