Thread: 100M A few Big Questions
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 12:49   #1
JudgeDrokk
Inactive

JudgeDrokk is an unknown quantity at this point
A few Big Questions

Hello!

Right... i just got "doubled up" from 50 to 100 meg, (thanks for not telling me Virgin), ... only found out when i looked at my account.....

Anyhow......

1. I still have this modem http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a..._HI-728-75.jpg
I have not been contacted by virgin with regard to replacing with a Superhub.
so, my question is...... should i get a superhub, or stick with this and the d-link router that came with it.?

The main use for the internet here, is a wired tower pc upstairs, wired, and laptop downstairs....... which is needed for mrs for work, all day, and all eve.

Dropping connections, and all the other horror stories i hear about would not be an option, as if i was at work i would not be able to "get things going again", so it needs to be stable........ at the moment it it rock solid... so i dont know weather to get a superhub or not as the risk may be too great, just to try and get those last few Mbps ( i max at 94.4 wired at the mo), cos it would be a DISASTER if the service was not as relable as it is now.......

2. When i was on 50m, before the double speed ugrade, i could always get 45 meg through VPN, thru a London server with giganews..... or 48 meg without VPN, when using usenet, at any time of the day. Since my double speed, i cant get near that, and have tried various servers in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and also using verious protocols.... they get worse if anything...... Giga says all good at there side...... any ideas?

3... Anyone using Giganews accelerator? ive been using it for ages, due to using an old news grabber (newsbin pro 4.XX), which i dont think nativly supported SSL, so this filled the gap, should i bin it, as it requires to be connected to port 119 for usenet..........

4 Vigin's P2P throttling........ going port 453 gets around this?
but does not get around traffic management mased on volume? (10 gig limit, most of the day and eve)..... (Woo! u can have 100 meg, but only for 45 mins, then we cut u up real bad!!)

5... Is there a way to sidestep traffic managment other than the kind that going port 443 works wround (p2p). Is VPN the only way?

This was fine till my vpm speeds went down, instead of up when i went from 50 to 100m speed.

Thanks!
JudgeDrokk is offline   Reply With Quote