View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 22:55   #1
LTheobald
Inactive

LTheobald is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection Dropping On Heavy Usage

Hi all,

First I want to apologise if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum. I did a search around but I couldn't see a solution. I've had this problem for a while (back when Virgin Media was still NTL) and have never got round to shorting it out properly. I did try contacting NTL about it but the guy in the call center at India couldn't help me if the problem wasn't occurring in Internet Explorer. The support at Virgin seems much better so I may try them on Monday if nobody here has any suggestions.

When my connection is used heavily by various different sources, my connection drops out and I have to power it down then back up for the connection to reset itself. Some of the examples when I get a connection drop:
  • Trying to download something via a torrent client (e.g. linux distro)
  • World Of Warcraft updater (also uses bittorrent technology I believe)
  • Using 4OD (Channel 4's on demand service)
  • Downloading games via my XBox

It's not instant. The connection seems to drop after a random amount of time.

It's can't be a PC issue as it's happening on my XBox too. I've got a NetGear router plugged into my setup but I can recreate the problems with that router taken out the loop. So it's looking it's something modem related. My modem is an NTL Home 120 (power levels etc. will be at the end of the post).

It looks like if I severely limit up upload on my bittorrent client, it helps the connection last longer but I still have issues. Plus I can't limit my upload on everything (e.g. XBox 360).

Here's some more info on my modem/line:

Modem Info
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
IP address : 10.128.192.59
Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.56 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.68 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 55.00 dBmv

Line quality test
All passed with 0% packet loss - http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2334188

Speed Test
Speed Test #43662907 by dslreports.com
Run: 2008-01-12 17:43:39 EST
Download: 708 (Kbps)
Upload: 699 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 86.5 down 85.3 up
Tested by server: 50 java
User: 1430539 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: ntl.com
Compared to the average of 101 tests from ntl.com:
* download is 48% worse, upload is 144% better

I'm going to go attempt to download something on the XBox now and I'll see what IP address I get assigned when the connection drops and I try to renew, incase that helps.

Cheers for any help/info,
Lee
LTheobald is offline   Reply With Quote