View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 20:24   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Fibre without line rental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sadly it wouldn't help you in any way.

Your line wouldn't be terminated at that cabinet it would go on to the exchange unless you ordered FTTC.

If you ordered FTTC your order would be rejected as you are too far from the cabinet to get a signal over that technology.

If Openreach deployed ADSL / ADSL 2 from cabinet it wouldn't help you either. They have to do things with power masks to avoid drowning out broadband from the exchange.

You wouldn't even get a land line now if your property were built today. If you are getting over 2Mb you won't be a priority, that's the lower limit under the universal service commitment. Your only option for faster is probably satellite.
I can understand why they would refuse to put a line in to a new build 8km from anywhere, but we do have neighbours, and all the developable land around here is within about 200 metres of the 50-pair cable that runs back to the exchange.

I did look at satellite, but usage caps, high latency and high monthly costs are putting me off. To be honest, so long as our 2Mb is stable - and it is, for now - its fast enough for our needs.

Oddly enough our community council newsletter dropped through the door yesterday. They are aware that most people around here are on EO lines and that a little extra campaigning may be required in order to make the most of the Infinity work scheduled for the exchange late next year.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote