View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 09:00   #2539
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I do not disagree with you Chris it is involved and more complicated. What I was trying to put over was the fact that the repeal of the ECA 1973 would have to be debated by Parliament. Triggering of A50 does not. Catch 22.

Which comes first?

Surely Parliament should be pushing for a debate on repeal of the Act not the triggering of A50?

As EU rules state that membership will be ended 2yrs after triggering of A50 does that mean the ECA 1973 has no bearing on membership?

I can see a lot of dummies being spat out of the pram over the next coupple of years.
Well that's the government's case, more or less. The court's judgment, more or less, is that the distinction is false as one leads inevitably to the other, so they must be treated not as separate but one and the same.

Incidentally, the European Communities Act was passed in 1972, not 1973.