View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 19:51   #9
christopherw
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BBC iPlayer, Be* ADSL2+ (September 2006 - September 2007), VM XL 20Mb (July 2007 onwards)
christopherw has a spectacular aura about themchristopherw has a spectacular aura about themchristopherw has a spectacular aura about themchristopherw has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Cambridge CMTS 17-2 / CMTS 15-2

Apologies for the half-hijack ... Suffering with upstream issues here too (wolv14 CMTS I believe).

Attempting to identify for certain the CMTS to do some monitoring; I don't have an overabundance of knowledge about how VM's network is currently laid out, where the CMTSes sit in their topology etc so I'm (re)learning as I go.

Is the simplest way to first resolve your gateway IP and go from there? Taking the current connection I'm using (cpc31-wolv14-2-0-custnn.16-1.cable.virginmedia.com), the connection gateway is cpc31-wolv14-2-0-gw.16-1.cable.virginmedia.com... which would make it CMTS wolv14?

Aside from either recursively searching the virginmedia.com DNS entries, do they all follow a standard format, e.g.

wolv-cmts-12-ge01.network.virginmedia.net
wolv-cmts-13-ge01.network.virginmedia.net
wolv-cmts-14-ge01.network.virginmedia.net

I've noticed parts of the hostnames can differ (e.g. ge02) so I'm assuming this simply denotes the inbound route (as the resolved IP is identical). Is there any way to monitor specific CPCs on the CMTS?
christopherw is offline   Reply With Quote