Thread: 200M Router
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 03:15   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Router

funny we are having this conversation actually. I had a bit of a tidy up of my desk yesterday and got rid of many external hard drives which have been sitting there for donkeys years (anything between 60gb -250gb) and decided to replace them with one 5TB hdd. I have bought myself a new colour mfp laser printer and while I was at it I decided I was going to get myself a new router so I am future proofed for the new 500mbit tier and ever increasing wireless standards.

I spent hours yesterday looking at router charts and reviews for all the Asus and Linksys models and there didn't seem to be one model which was kick ass on everything. Models which have excellent wireless performance had slower wan to lan throughput or they were mentioned as having buggy firmware and high wan to lan throughput had slower wireless. I wanted to edge towards Linksys as I have done in the past but the only one which seems to tick all the boxes is the EA9500 but I didn't want to pay £280 for a router atm because I wouldn't benefit from a lot of the features.

In the end I settled on (drum roll) the Asus AC68U. It is the first time I have bought a non-Linksys router and I hope I don't regret it. I really wanted to go for the AC88u but again didn't want to spend £250 on a router atm because there are more things I want to buy. I think I have made a good choice though and I am very excited about the 68u, it looks like it is going to be kick ass and be a massive improvement over what I have got atm. The wan to lan throughput is something like 940mbits and the wireless performance is excellent as well and will last me for a long time.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote