View Single Post
Old 22-12-2016, 17:09   #1020
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
And what about the evidence that streaming is reaching saturation?
I'm not sure how 'saturation' has been defined in the evidence to which you have referred.

There are at least three different measures of saturation that I can think of:

1. Virtually all households have access to OTT services.

2. The number of households wanting OTT services and who could afford it already have it.

3. Virtually all households have it and watch mainly OTT services rather than conventional broadcast linear TV.

The last measure is the most important, because if only a small number of households watch linear TV, it would not be worthwhile for the broadcasters to continue broadcasting in that way. After all, if households in 1 and 2 only watch a small amount of on demand services, this will have a minimal impact on conventional broadcasting, whereas if 3 applied, there would no longer be any decent revenue emanating from the advertising that supports it.

As I have said consistently, it's all down to audience habits. Collectively, we are in control.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Agreed. I can see a future rump of 5-10 linear channels mostly sport, news and current affairs probably supported by advertising or subscription with the rest of content streamed on-demand and probably PAYG. It's what youngsters do now and they're the future adults that will pay for content.

Most of the stuff we watch on linear TV is available as download, on-demand or Youtube so the demise of these channels is no loss IMHO
You may be right about being left with a small number of conventional broadcast channels providing live broadcasts, but as people get more used to OTT services, they will be hunting for live streaming services before they go to broadcast channels, I would have thought. The BBC i-Player already streams programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, so I don't think it is a stretch of the imagination to envisage the future looking like this.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

This proves that people are quite happy to stream sport as opposed to watching it on 'normal' channels:

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/12/p...year-ever.html

Olympic events from Rio were streamed live more than 30 million times across the summer. During Euro 2016, the England vs Wales football match had more than 2 million requests to watch the match live, becoming BBC iPlayer’s third most popular programme and most-watched live event of the year.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote