View Single Post
Old 22-12-2016, 14:47   #1017
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Interesting comments from the FT in connection with Sky.
Article name: Five questions for Sky in the face of Fox’s offer
“The real question for Sky is what happens over the medium to long term as people move away from satellite and patterns of consumption change as young people of today become the bill payers of tomorrow,” said Mathew Horsman, an analyst at Mediatique. “No one knows the answer to that, not even James Murdoch.”
Google article name or direct pay link https://www.ft.com/content/bc21a49a-...3-7e34c07b46ef
I think the Murdoch's know exactly the answer to that is and they've already started down that road with NOW TV.

One the big media announcements of the year, in my opinion, was the news that Direct TV were launching cable tv/streaming packages in the States and quote, "that's our future." DirectTv was controlled by Murdoch but is now owned by AT&T.

I said on this very thread, that when NOW TV launched, it was not a defensive move as everyone else said, but an offensive one. It's not to pick up cancelled Sky subs and perhaps those wanting a bit more than Freeview. It is in fact the start of Sky migrating from a satellite based pay tv company, to a cable based tv/telecoms/mobile company.

Whether Murdoch takes the plunge and invests heavily in his own cable infrastructure is another matter. Murdoch Snr has always said he wouldn't. But I don't think, for the reasons you state, that he, Murdoch Jnr, will have a choice.

The young folk of today are consuming media on various devices and when they get older they will STILL want access services on multiple devices. A satellite dish fixed to a house doesn't cut it...

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Agreed. I can see a future rump of 5-10 linear channels mostly sport, news and current affairs probably supported by advertising or subscription with the rest of content streamed on-demand and probably PAYG. It's what youngsters do now and they're the future adults that will pay for content.

Most of the stuff we watch on linear TV is available as download, on-demand or Youtube so the demise of these channels is no loss IMHO
Disney came out with a statement earlier in the year regarding its ESPN services and sports in general and it reckoned that younger people are turning away from sports and are more interested in drama "box sets".

Disney stated that if that trend continued, then the vast swathes of money that are poured into sports, especially to football players, will end and the money redistributed to drama.

Last edited by Horizon; 22-12-2016 at 14:58.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote