View Single Post
Old 22-12-2016, 10:51   #1016
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I've not seen that tbh, but do you seriously believe that people nowadays rush home to watch, whatever, at the time its being aired? I don't, and I know lots of people who don't either, gone are the days when you had to be sat in your chair, at a certain time, to watch your favourite soap or whatever. The times they are a changing SP!....
While anecdotal that's my observation of the world too I can't think of anyone I'm aware of that rushes in to catch a programme. The last people on earth i'd imagine embracing time shifting and streaming would be my parents and my in laws but the former had an Amazon prime video account before me.

Now many in my family will welcome the BBC1 xmas day schedule, they'll just watch it when it suits them...the tv programming is fitted around the day rather than the opposite.

There may be a sort of romance attached to watching a popular tv event as it's broadcast, knowing that millions are doing the same but I think viewing habits are beginning to change in all demographics. Of course I only have anecdotal evidence but I'd be surprised if the many different types of people I see switching to more convenient means of viewing is not in some way representative of a wider trend. I don't see any benefits of broadcasting television on a fixed time frame, the exception being sports I guess but even then I can see that category of viewing being scooped up by streaming as opposed to being broadcast.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote