Thread: Media Player?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 23:15   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Media Player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I'm not sure there's any such question of quality when we're talking about digital reproduction of an identical digital bitstream.

Either what the laptop outputs is an exactly 100% perfect bit-perfect representation of the original, or there's a fault in your system. There should be no question of quality. The data is exactly the same, the decoder (if properly following standards) should output exactly the same thing, and the HDMI interface which is also digital should transfer the output bit-perfectly with no loss or change of anything. There is nowhere for "quality" to be gained or lost.

Nothing in the middle - e.g. RAM, processor, or I/O busses should be modifying the data in any way and if it does anything that could lose quality, you'd have bigger problems than video playback - your system wouldn't even boot to begin with.
You forget one thing. All Mpeg 4 based compression systems are lossy. This inevitably introduces errors or artifacts into the compressed data. A system with good decompression will minimise the effects of those artifacts.

And just in case the discussion heads this way, in general, I don't agree that more expensive cables and components automatically make for a better digital reproduction.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote