View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 16:13   #18
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Re: Anyone here got a cat like this

You're right, Joglynne - a cat that's kept indoors never knows what it's missing, so it isn't concerned, provided the environment is kept varied and the cat has opportunities to exercise its natural behaviour. By far the best course of action is to ensure the cat has some safe, high perch to climb; they like that, so they can look down and survey their domain.

When a cat's sitting on a windowsill looking outside, it isn't thinking 'oh, I wish they'd let me out' - it's just taking an interest and watching the world go by. They do that. If you live in an area that's dangerous for cats, e.g. on a main road, then by all means keep 'em in. They don't mind. It isn't cruel. My Tigger was originally an indoor cat, owing to my awkward shift times...then she managed to escape a couple of times, she discovered birds, and that was pretty much that.

Since my last move, she's discovered mice, too, and delights in bringing them home...I wish she wouldn't, mice are cute. A couple of times I managed to pull a fast one on her; I waited till she lost interest in the mouse and decided to go out, then I captured it and put it out!

Advisory for owners of cats who like to hunt, though: if the cat's drawn blood on whatever it's caught, you may as well leave the cat to it, as the poor thing's surely doomed; a cat's bite can be very toxic owing to bacteria. Otherwise, if you really can't stand it, distract the cat somehow and rescue the hapless prey, as I did.