View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 20:13   #2983
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Another problem is that I think it would need a Freeview slot to be successful as a FTA channel, but there's only part of a day left on nationwide DTT.
Finding other slots for Sewing Quarter and Quest Red +1 could release a 24/7 slot on Freeview. Presumably, these part-time and placeholder channels are on short term contracts using "spare capacity". These were filler slots, previously sharing capacity with BT's promo channel. As BT have moved the promo channel, it would be better for Arqiva to sell it as 24/7 capacity. Also, COM 6 has 15 TV channels, compared to 16 on COM 4 & 5, so a little reorganisation of the radio / audio only channels would allow them to squeeze in an extra TV channel. Sure, video quality would take a hit, not something that has worried them with COM 4 & 5.

COM 7 & 8 have spare capacity and 75% coverage which seems ideal for trying out a new FTA channel.

Quote:
Have a feeling that UKTV may consolidate some channel/s to get around this.
Dropping Dave Ja Vu to a part time slot, using its Freeview capacity for a new channel is a tried and tested method of bringing new UKTV channels to Freeview. I suspect that Dave Ja Vu would attract more viewers than Eden, so it would be a risky strategy.

If UKTV does plan to bring extra channels to Freeview, I would expect to see a reorganisation of their channel portfolio for it to be viable.

Last edited by jj20x; 12-10-2017 at 20:46.