View Single Post
Old 21-02-2012, 21:37   #54
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's not the same at all. That would be like holding the entire pit villages the thugs came from permanently responsible for what went on.

Kelvin MacKenzie no longer works for News International. He hasn't worked for them for years. There is next-to-nobody anywhere at the Sun today who was there when the Hillsborough story was printed. There is absolutely nobody anywhere on the news floor that had anything to do with it.

A boycott is normally supposed to achieve some aim. People boycott Nestle because they believe economic pressure might influence its marketing of infant formula milk in third world countries. Boycotting the Sun in Liverpool seems to serve no purpose. What could the aim be? To get someone sacked? They've all gone anyway - some of them have retired, it was that long ago. To extract an apology? The paper has done so, fully and unequivocally.

The only reason I can see for all this venom is that hating the Sun has become part of the definition of a scouser. Just as you're not a true cockney unless you were born within earshot of Bow Bells, you're not a true Scouser unless you remind anyone who will listen, at every opportunity, about a horrible thing the Sun printed 20-plus years ago. And when a community defines itself by the things it hates, it's in a very sorry condition indeed.
I expect the owners will be hoping nothing comes out to make their rag even more unpalatable to people as somewhere the truth will still exist as to the sources who gave them their nasty little story.

This company has never really had the decency to apologise to the city of Liverpool in a meaningful way, but I doubt even that will ever happen.

Now if it happened in your home town or anyone else reading this I rather doubt you would go "Oh well its been 20+ years and we are still fighting for the truth lets just pack it up and forget about it" get real.

Maybe you should click this link read the article and listen to Anne Williams the mother of Hillsborough victim Kevin Williams aged 15 who died not at 3:15 pm as they would like you to believe but around 4pm.

CLICK ME.

If my 15 year old had died in this way I would still want answers even after all this time.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote