View Single Post
Old 28-01-2017, 09:45   #3926
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I really have no idea why so many people are getting so wound up over this. London is one of the world's major financial hubs, quite possibly *the* financial hub, dealing with vast flows of capital in an equally vast number of currencies and territories, almost all of which are not in the European Union. Banks whose base of operations are in London place satellite offices wherever they require them, to facilitate business and to satisfy local regulations. Without "passporting" rights into the EU, banks based in London wishing to continue dealing in Euros in the Eurozone will have to place an office with staff inside the zone. Big fat hairy deal: this does not mean they're going to up sticks and move their entire operation to Frankfurt at the same time. In fact, as Barclays has just shown, Frankfurt has no right to expect to be the natural choice for any of it. Dublin speaks the same language and is in the same time zone as London. Clearly that counts for something.
I think it's called clutching at straws.

I have a feeling that not so long ago a good many of these people would have been baying for banker blood only too happy for those terrible parasites to up sticks and leave. Many also seem to concern themselves only with the costs/risks arising from the UK leaving the EU whilst totally ignoring the considerable risks of staying within it. Odd that...

Anyone would think that the EU is a model of social and economic success.

Last edited by Osem; 28-01-2017 at 10:04.