View Single Post
Old 14-06-2017, 16:09   #1850
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Can you remind me where it says this? I looked at this page:

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/manifesto2017/brexit

and struggled to find the explicit statement you mentioned. Must be going blind in my old age!
Sorry, I thought we were all experts by now. For the avoidance of doubt "access to" and "membership of" are two entirely different things. So when the manifesto states, for example:

"A Labour government will end the uncertainty for our farmers and food producers by securing continued EU market access allowing British farmers and food producers to continue to sell their products on the Continent."

It is quite clear that Labour has accepted that we're leaving the single market and must instead negotiate preferential access to it.

They also say this:

"We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union – which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain."

The benefits of. Not the membership of.

Apologies if that wasn't explicit enough for you ... I really thought it was.