View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Any disadvantages to using 3rd party router/modem mode on SH3?

We have 8 points in the corner where most of our A/V stuff is and that's not enough. One thing to watch out for is some devices have the transformers etc as part of the wall plug with a small low voltage output lead.

1)This can interfere with other sockets/switches depending on how they are set out.
2)This lead can be quite short meaning the kit it plugs into may need to be closer to the socket that if the "block" is connected to the mains by a second lead.

Also generally keep router (or SH3) away from larger electrical stuff and mount as high as you can. This again can be tricky if trying to keep things neat.

But I would still recommend a good 3rd party router.

---
One other disadvantage is sharing your WiFi via the SH3 which in turn lets you use some public points (and other shared points) but I know many on here would count that as an advantage. You could leave the SH3 in router mode to provide the WiFi sharing and use your router for your networks but that can lead to more confusion.