Thread: Boxing 2011
View Single Post
Old 18-09-2011, 13:07   #27
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age
Re: Boxing 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Walker View Post
My thoughts on the ending of the Mayweather and Ortiz fight is it was fair, ref says protect yourself at all times, Ortiz didn't and paid the price.
Indeed. Cortez ****ed up, Ortiz ****ed up, Mayweather did nothing wrong.

Cortez should have notified the timekeeper before telling them to box on, instead he told them "lets go" before turning to the time keeper after realising he hadn't got the clock started again. This is what lead to the ambiguity in what was happening.
Better control over the fighters would have solved it, he should have put both guys back into neutral corners before giving the box on.

Ortiz... what the hell he was thinking I don't know, after apologising at the break, and then after the break, he then goes to apologise AGAIN, I'm sorry buy after having the guy blatantly go for the headbutt, and then the overly nice apologising (he kissed the guy ffs, it's a boxing match, you're not there to make friends) he had the shots coming to him.

My initial reaction was that Cortez hadn't give the box on order, and Mayweather should have been disqualified, that was based on the way Cortez was ignoring the fighters to signal to the time keeper, and Ortiz just standing there going for a hug rather than looking ready to box. On the replay it's clear the box on order was given, just both Cortez and Ortiz are both fools.

Cortez should never ref another match though, the guy has been a liability for a long time.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote