View Single Post
Old 25-05-2008, 02:53   #7
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Freesat from Sky and hacking the STB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Well, I finally did it. I cancelled my Sky subscription last month, and my STB now functions as a Freesat-from-Sky receiver.

My first impression is that the channel line up is adequate - especially for us, we're trying to lessen the amount of telly we watch - but it is nevertheless substantially lacking compared to the terrestrial Freeview offering.

There is no e4 or More 4 (I know there are contractual reasons for this, hopefully C4 will be able to resolve these early next year). There is no UKTV History. There is no Virgin 1, which is slightly puzzling as it's a new channel and is on Freeview (I wonder whether they have simply inherited a Sky encryption deal from a predecessor channel though).

I would watch UKTV History if it were available and Mrs T quite likes the channel 4 variants. Virgin 1 can go hang itself based on its current line up - I won't miss it.

When the BBC and ITV finally get round to launching their official, trademarked Freesat service I will look very carefully to see what channels are on it. The only problem is that I may have to buy a new STB - unless anyone knows if it's possible to re-programme my Sky Digibox with new EPG software?
i dont see what your getting at ? the channels that you are on about are FTA on Freeview however they never have been on satellite or cable (other then E4 on analogue cable). now what i dont understand is why do you want to change the EPG ? freesat & Sky FTA use the same satellites so you wont get anything extra. also you cant reprogram your Sky receiver as no 'hacks' as you put it have ever been published, thats not to say that they dont exist. Sky have lawyers that would come down on anyone heavily that did, the same as they would if anyone publicly hacked Videoguard. so in short unless you 'hack' & write a new EPG yourself you wont get one.

---------- Post added at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
PROVIDED the software is for the right receiver. In any case, pukka Freesat receivers will be cheap as chips when they appear.

Meantime, you should be able to manually set up the Sky box to receive other channels that are broadcast from the same cluster of satellites but, for one reason or another, haven't ended up in the EPG.
other then a few tests & news, in store & health club radio stations there are only five other channels that aint in the EPG (other then regional versions of ITV1, Channel 4 & Channel 4 +1): OH TV, Shorts TV, Retail Info & irish versions of Bubble Hits & Sky News.