View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 15:57   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Freesat from Sky and hacking the STB?

Well, I finally did it. I cancelled my Sky subscription last month, and my STB now functions as a Freesat-from-Sky receiver.

My first impression is that the channel line up is adequate - especially for us, we're trying to lessen the amount of telly we watch - but it is nevertheless substantially lacking compared to the terrestrial Freeview offering.

There is no e4 or More 4 (I know there are contractual reasons for this, hopefully C4 will be able to resolve these early next year). There is no UKTV History. There is no Virgin 1, which is slightly puzzling as it's a new channel and is on Freeview (I wonder whether they have simply inherited a Sky encryption deal from a predecessor channel though).

I would watch UKTV History if it were available and Mrs T quite likes the channel 4 variants. Virgin 1 can go hang itself based on its current line up - I won't miss it.

When the BBC and ITV finally get round to launching their official, trademarked Freesat service I will look very carefully to see what channels are on it. The only problem is that I may have to buy a new STB - unless anyone knows if it's possible to re-programme my Sky Digibox with new EPG software?