View Single Post
Old 24-09-2017, 16:53   #21
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Streamlining channel packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I would really like the V6 to be developed into an open streaming box so that all the popular streaming services were on there. I thought that was the route VM were taking not so long ago, but now it's beginning to look like a lost opportunity.

Imagine that. A streaming box like Roku with all the cable channels and recording facilities to boot. That, I believe, would be extremely popular.
I fear that is a dream that will never come to pass.
Several years ago I remember seeing a quote from the then CEO of Sky (I forget which one now) that said their aim was to reduce VM and BT to mere telco's.

When we catch up with the US and are allowed to subscribe to what we want via OTT services those "mere" telco's will be the dominant players as they both own their own networks, Sky's master plan will reduce them to a content provider and ISP who don't own the majority of their infrastructure.
When this comes to pass it will be much more cost effective for VM to let their customers buy their own streaming hardware and then just maintain their superior network!
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote