View Single Post
Old 14-02-2012, 00:33   #14
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
I just cancelled my SKY+ HD service. As I've had a change in circumstances and can no longer afford Sky Sports, ESPN etc.

I noticed that if I get Tivo with M+ it's only 10 quid a month more (with my existing broadband L and phone M). This is very tempting for me as I cannot live without a PVR and Sky Sports News! But I also get channels I occasional watch such as Sky1 (an idiot abroad) and Eurosport 1/2 (football). Seem it's the ideal package. Taking into account the catch up and other services on offer too!

It's just my last Virgin media STB was useless. Painfully S-L-O-W and noisy! Crackling during quiet suspense moments in movies is a real put off!!

I don't want to be stuck with a box that is going to give me stress! So just a few questions that I hope a few of you will take some time out to give me your opinions.

- What's better on the old V+HD (scientfic atlanta) than the Tivo?
- How does channel changing and menu time compare to the old V+HD box and the SKY+ boxes?
- Does the box have a tendency to lock up?
- How does the picture quality compare (via the scart) to V+HD and SKY+ boxes? (no HD telly yet)
- Can 'catch up' showings be archived to DVD (it was possible with V+HD)
- Does the box get hot in use? Does it need a large ventilation space?
- Anything else that really bugs you! about this box?

Thanks to everyone who has read this post. Please the more people who answer the better idea I have. Feel free to answer whichever question you like.

Regards,

John aka Bentex
I've recently changed from Sky+ HD to a Tivo, so I'll help as much as I can:

Quote:
- What's better on the old V+HD (scientfic atlanta) than the Tivo?
Not sure because I have the Cisco one in my bedroom.

Quote:
- How does channel changing and menu time compare to the old V+HD box and the SKY+ boxes?
Once you get used to the differences from Sky, you will probably find the Tivo far better. There are lots of little improvements, like if you bring the guide up just a few minutes before the hour, it will move on to the next hour, rather than telling you what you have just missed.

Quote:
- Does the box have a tendency to lock up?
Mine hasn't done so far. But then my Sky box didn't very often (once it was replaced).

Quote:
- How does the picture quality compare (via the scart) to V+HD and SKY+ boxes? (no HD telly yet)
Don't know as I use HDMI. There is no point paying for HD, if you don't have a HD TV yet. You can add that package at a later date.

Quote:
- Can 'catch up' showings be archived to DVD (it was possible with V+HD)
I can't help you there. I know it wasn't possible on the Sky+ HD box

Quote:
- Does the box get hot in use? Does it need a large ventilation space?
Mine hasn't been switched off since I got it in December. And I've just checked, and it is hardly warm.

Quote:
- Anything else that really bugs you! about this box?
There were just a couple of things to start with. But then after asking about them on here, I found that it was just me being a typical bloke, and not reading the instructions.

Personally I think that the Tivo is miles ahead of the Sky+HD box
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote