Thread: General VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots
View Single Post
Old 13-06-2017, 10:01   #150
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Can the hub act as a wifi hotspot in Modem mode? I suspect it would need to be in router mode, as it would need to issue private range IPs to any guest users.

Do you need to put your hub into router mode to have access to Virgin Media Wifi elsewhere? The reason I ask is that after my V1 superhub had severe reliability issues (it would lose wireless connectivity an hour or two after reboot, and would do so every time), I bought my own router. I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk which, while it is hideous (looks like something the team that designed the original Stealth bomber would have designed), is a good router, and from what I can gather, outperforms the SH3.

I am happy to provide a Wifi Hotspot, but do not want to give up my existing router. I have also found that having two routers handing out IP addresses on the same network is asking for trouble.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote