View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 15:07   #170
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I really do not understand your confusion.

Yes, the question was indeed 'in or out'.

Given we voted out, we must leave the EU, the Common Market and the Customs Union in order that leaving the EU as set out can be achieved.

Therefore, the choice now is between a negotiated Brexit with a GB/EU deal, or a so-called hard Brexit with no deal. Which it will be will be determined through the negotiations, and Theresa May has pledged to get the best deal for Britain.

So where is the confusion, exactly? No-one can say more with any credibility, because we are in negotiations.

It seems to me the real confusion arises because so many people don't seem to know what a negotiation is. I'm sure that a lot of people think it is a 'demand' which must be accepted without question!

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

It's not the mess you think it is. It's a negotiation. Being the first stage of the negotiation, it's posturing time. The serious bits come later.

There is no basis for your claim that it will take a decade before we achieve increased prosperity from leaving the EU, although it is good to see that you recognise that increased prosperity will result. But we will not lose at all if Theresa May succeeds in getting a trade deal with the EU, and this is what most Remainers don't seem to want to take into account.
My confusion is that I really don't understand the UK Governments position and what they want - there is no clear message from the Government where the Chancellor, Trade Secretary, Foreign Secretary and Minister for DExEU all seem to be saying different things. It doesn't instill confidence to be honest.

Maybe there's a clear position behind the curtain in negotiations that is being kept from the public that we're not being told about. Who knows? The EU negotiating team don't seem to know either.

Whether we lose out with a deal with the EU or not surely depends on the deal. Without knowing what the result of the negotiations are, no one can say if we will be better or worse off for sure but the second you put friction in to international trade, you will increase costs