View Single Post
Old 20-10-2017, 01:56   #3095
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
"For Virgin to deliver all BBC 1 regions in HD, would still require the Beeb to upgrade the distribution and contribution circuits to each regional studio to HD, and equip the SD regions with upscalers and downscalers, which is a large chunk of the upgrade work they do not have the funds for.
Basically very expensive and at the moment, with most of the local news studios still not upgraded to HD, a lot of expense to upscale SD at source.

Quote:
Unless, Virgin are going to take the current BBC1 HD England feed, and 'splice' up converted regional feeds during the opt out slots. I can't imagine the BBC agreeing to that, and I'm not sure Ofcom would be too happy from a service licensing perspective".
Unlikely that VM would go to this much trouble if the BBC isn't driving the change. The BBC has the PSB remit, not VM.

Quote:
Maybe VM are to somehow make channels 108 and 162 swap over to the SD feed for the local news etc instead of the holding slate currently provided??
Not every VM customer gets the correct local region on 101. For some, their correct region is offered as an alternative on channel 858. Introducing the sort of channel swap you describe would probably need additional local networks set up within VM to make it work properly. Not really likely to happen.

Quote:
So, from a VM point of view there are only 14 regional BBC1's plus 3 BBC2's which adds up to 17. If VM show BBC1 London news on the proper BBC1 HD channel 108, that gets it down to 16 again!
But it ignores the fact that all BBC One & ITV HD regions are on regional TS ID 104, not on national TS ID 44.

Quote:
Whilst viewers outside London, Scotland, Wales and NI wouldn't get their local programmes in HD, at least they wouldn't have to faff about changing from 108 to 101 and 162 to 102.
An incredibly expensive method to avoid having to press a few buttons.

---------- Post added at 01:46 ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
...when 700MHZ is eventually cleared aren't the PSB channels expected to emit in HD only? If this theory is correct, it would be scuppered by this. Maybe the BBC expect to be able to afford to make the regions operate in full HD by 2020??
That theory is popular on DS Forums but not really anywhere else, more a case of wishful thinking by certain posters than the actual plan. The end of simulcasting in SD & HD will free up cash resources which could be used to fund HD only infrastructure. There's no actual indication that it will happen at the same time as 700 Mhz clearance. Remember that clearance has already started in some areas and that those areas haven't been converted to HD only for the PSBs.

Quote:
@ jj20x Do the scans give any indication of any DVB type that might be used?
The DVB type is for the whole transport stream rather than individual services and hasn't changed.

---------- Post added at 01:56 ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
I highly doubt BBC channels would be among the 16 hidden channels. This is a bit of a mystery, but I think POP Max may be one of them. This is because Kix Power disappeared and data is still available for channel 738, so I wouldn't rule out the likes of Pop Max and Chart Show TV.
When channels are removed, it is normal for a limited amount of residual data to be left in the SDT. Users will have made recordings from these channels, so some data is generally left behind to support that.

Usually, when broadcasts cease from a channel, the data has a couple of flags, indicating that it is a placeholder and that it is at the end-of-service. 738 only had the placeholder flag. That state is normally used for pop-up channels, likely to return at some point, such as the BBC Red Button additional streams.