View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 21:34   #10
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold
Re: V+HD vs new Tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalis View Post
From the promotional stuff from VM the Tivo can also go backwards, and if it finds programmes available (presumably on catch-up) it will allow you to view them, rather than have to go through the catch-up menus.
Wow, are you saying the Tivo will download stuff from catchup/on demand that you've missed? That's pretty good, as once stuff goes from catchup/ondemand, it takes a while to come back.

If it doesn't do this, then not sure what benefit there is over V+, as V+ has Search option now which lists partial text matches across live, on demand, catchup and TV guide. A nice to have certainly, but not worth the price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalis View Post
Also, which V+ do you have? I have the SA, and the Tivo cannot be any slower - I don't think it is possible to make something that slow now. (When you press i you can see the black box draw, followed by the border then the text (if you are lucky)). Also, my V+ has a habit of randomly choosing functions when I press a button - the i button often doubles as pause.

The Tivo should be much more stable.
I have one of the new V+ boxes, which are pretty fast in all menus, except where you are waiting for the content to come down the wire, which I assume would be the same for Tivo, although it sounds like it does more stuff in the background so you wouldn't have this sort of problem. Different paradigm as they say.

Boz

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdav View Post
The simple answer is this nobody needs a TIVO box but like kettles, toaster's or in my case iPad's once you get one you wonder how you ever got by without it, TIVO is a luxury item, if you have got the money to buy one you wont regret it, but at the same time is it worth going short to get one, probably not as like you say you can watch all the same programmes on your current box now, and at the end of the day that why we subscribe.
Ah, I think you've just nailed it. For a V+ user, there's no real need to upgrade but it's a more polished interface into the outstanding VM content.

Shame, I'll have to put my cash into an iPad instead, that sounds much more fun.

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote