Thread: General Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2012, 22:39   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moowow! View Post
They need smart filtering like other isps that give pritory to important traffic like iptv and voip
Virgin claim the whole point of stm is to stop the minority (something like 2%) of users from negatively impacting network performance to the detriment of other users. What you suggest goes directly against that philosophy atm. They have capped you because of the volume of traffic you are generating, especially on docsis 1, and uncapping it and actually prioritising the traffic screws things up big time.

You have lead us to a very good point though which many of us have raised before. Technology has got to the point now where even the slowest of connections are fast and like many users have argued, what do you need more than 1mb/sec for? The OP shouldn't have to upgrade to 50mbit or 100mbit to be relieved of stm when the speed he is getting atm is more than sufficient. I think it would be a great idea for all the tiers is there was a level 1 and 2 where 1 is the more expensive and un-stm'd and 2 is cheaper and stm'd. As an example (I don't know how much 10mb is so this is an example).

10mbit unmanaged on docsis 3 for £15/month for peeps like the OP for netflix and whatever else

10mbit managed with stm on docsis 1 for £10/month, designed for light/moderate use (like it is now)

Both offer you respectable speed which everyone is happy with however they are designed for different usage patterns. I would say you could do the same for up to 50mbit however I think anyone on 100mbit would argue that they want the speed because they download tonnes and want it done asap so they wouldnt be interested in paying less for thresholds to be impossed which would only screw them over.

(I am charging 10% commision on the above idea )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
virign backhual isnt the problem it is the last mile so to say, from teh node to eth hosue they are contentieneded inteh form virign are sellign to many connection for the line, so increase backhual will improve tihngs but the smt would sitll be needed, and virign already sdhaped p2p during peak hours , they jsut uste stm as a way of limiting there costs not jsut from teh fact of the required upgrades but fromt eh cost of the internet bandwidth to
reminded me of this:

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs!

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote