View Single Post
Old 28-12-2009, 11:24   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: BBC iPlayer now on Freesat\Humax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
But do you get ITV Player and 4OD as well? I much prefer the whole package. If I wanted a free service, I would just access iPlayer on the internet.
That's not really a fair comparison, as pull-VOD via Freesat is in its infancy. Accessing iPlayer via a PIN on Humax boxes is essentially the BBC's Beta trial of the service. ITV player and 4OD will appear as VOD services via Freesat eventually; the platform was deliberately designed and specced to ensure it could happen. With Project Canvas now also green-lit, it's likely that within the next 2 years the VOD offering via Freesat will be considerably wider even than that provided by the UK's main PSB channels.

A fairer comparison of Freesat and VM would be one based on reliability, whole-life cost (because VM charges a subscription, but on the other hand Humax boxes aren't free and don't get replaced for free when they break) and, yes, breadth of viewing choice. That's not a comparison that will be easy to make for a good few months yet though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote