View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 21:25   #1
Istaria
Inactive

Istaria is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange problem (ping related I think).

Hello people, I was wondering if anybody could offer me any advice on a strange problem I've been having the last 2 weeks as its really baffled me and I don't really want to trouble VM if its just a silly problem caused by me.

The problem is ping, I play a few different casual online games. The last 2 weeks(perhaps longer) they've basically become unplayable at times (really high latency). It happens for about 5 hours at a time then goes back to normal.

At first I thought.. maybe just its my connection droping out, so I ran various tracerts & speedtests & ping tests .. but they seem to look ok.

I've run the various speedtests on speedtest.net & everything looks fine.. pings are ok + speed is registering what I pay for (20mb).

I ran the speedtest on here and that also looks fine.

I downloaded a file from virginmedias game section.. speed was fine, also tested it via rapidshare.com.. speed was fine again.

So the problem seems to be something to do with ping, yet when I test the ping on speedtest.net & pingtest & myvoipspeed... its looks fine. (usually around 20 - 25).

When I run ping tests such as ping bbc.co.uk -t I get good results such as:

Pinging bbc.co.uk with 32 bytes of data:
bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=118
bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=118

The only thing I notice is.. normally I use that bbmax speedtest, it constantly registers a speed of 20mb (just about) & a ping of between 25 & 35

Now when the problem arises... & I test my connection using that website - it registers a speed of about 6mb & a ping of 135 constantly during the 5 hour period when im having this problem... as soon as I notice the problem has gone away.. the bbmax speedtest goes back to giving me good results.
Its the only speedtest that shows the problem when im experiencing it.

I feel silly as I don't really want to phone VM and say .. im having a ping/latency problem but every speedtest on the net except bbmax says im fine.

I was thinking it could possibly be a routeing issue, but when I do tracerts they look fine.

Could anybody please suggest any tests I can do to understand why every speedtest/ping test looks ok.. yet only bbmax shows me I am experiencing a problem (when I am also seeing a game unplayable).

I thought maybe doing a tracert to the server bbmax uses to test? would that be practical?

Additional info:

o/s = windows 7
No programs running in task manager that shouldnt be.
AVG f/w + A/V

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.6 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 43.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Thankyou for reading & sorry for the wall of text, im just really confused and unsure how to explain it correctly.
Istaria is offline   Reply With Quote