View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16   #6
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: dLAN plug problems

ohh right, so its actually a generic "HomePlug" mains Ethernet kit then, it would seem if he strings a generic straight ethernet cable between the new PC and the router and the problem goes away then its all down to this dlan HomePlug kit....

its so much easyer to try and help people if your given the full details from the onset...

does the ethernet Leds light up and stay on at both ends proving a wired connnection exists at some point, if not then it seems these HomePlug are to blame for the bad connection.

iv never seen a valid reason to use them myself when cheap 5E ethernet gets you full speed connections at far lower prices, but it seems you need to go "back to basics", connecting a simple cheap (£5 or less) long ethernet cable across the pc/router taking out the HomePlug kit to see if its the PC ,the router or the HomePlug kit settings playing up and stopping basic connectivity.

---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 ----------

hmm , i thought id take a look and according to this review
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...37-devolo.html

i suspect the "encryption key" they refer to was generated by the/your old PC using its internal ethernet cards MAC address as a core component.....

if thats the case, it seems logical to me that right there is your problem....

two options
1: change the new PCs registry MAC address to the old working one, or
2: regenerate a new key for both ends to make it work with your new PC's MAC address.

odd though that implys you cant simply connect any pc you might want to test on that "HomePlug" if you didnt originally generate the "HomePlug" keys with a router/switch already wired up on that section and have it just work.

give me ethernet and wireless every time, such a low 5.2Mbps max (half of even the VM 10Mbit package speed before STM kicks in) for £77/£42 a shot doesnt seem very good value and you would be waiting around a LOT longer for simple binary file copying to/from your other PC's on the LAN.

you can forget most smooth HD video streaming too at that 5.2Mbps max speed, its again half the speed of even the xbox 360's known smooth AVC HD.mp4 playback at 10Mbit/s max...., you do know that even cheap wireless 11n can do "real world" 50Mbit+/s longer reach transfer speeds today dont you.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote