View Single Post
Old 28-10-2007, 19:52   #13
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Re: Free Criminal Record Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave1 View Post
Where is a website that does a totally free criminal record check on a person of your choice? Thank You
You have to pay for them I'm affraid Dave, it's a bit of a con because when the old checks used to be used the local Police station did them all, all you did was filled in your name and address and gave it to the guy on the desk, the same thing happens now only with an agency in the middle, you phone the CRB offce up in Liverpool and ask them for a enhanced CRB form, they'll send you one when it suits them, when you get it you'll fill it in and furnish the form with £40 of the old english. When your form gets to Liverpool they'll open it put it in a file for it to be processed. When the fell like it they'll send it to your local police station for any criminal convictions to be added to it, if your local police station have a backlog you could be waiting upto 4 months, when the police have finished with it they'll send it back to Liverpool for them to open it then process it again and leave it in a file for god knows how many days or weeks, they'll then put it in a print que for it to be printed, when it's been printed they'll send it back to you.

Basically it's done a full circle, nothing has changed from when the old system was used a few years ago before Ian Huntly went on his murdering spree, like I mentioned above when the police used to do them on their own the system was much quicker, it used to take 10 days at the most to get your records back, the government have created a new department run by Centrica making millions of pounds each year from people who need these enahnced CRB checks to enable them to work, I'd sooner give the money to the police, they could make better use of it. Most of you will have heard of Centrica they are the ones who make billions of pounds a year running government departments.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
I have never understood how that one works in practice.

I have worked for three different defence companies, and have been cleared to BC, SC, DV and "some others" above that level. The information regarding any criminal convictions including details of spent ones are placed in a sealed envelope for the vetting agency. This information is never disclosed to the company applying for the security clearance.

I thought this was due to civil liberty reasons, the vetting agency does not reject anyone for a criminal record as far as I know apart from Treason or professional malpractice. I'm not sure how a CRB check going to any old Tom, Dick or Harry company would be allowed to disclose conviction details to an employer.
Any convictions which are classed as spent cannot be held against you when applying for any job, sexual offences come under a different catagory I think.