View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 21:03   #2
ajtag
Inactive

ajtag is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: strange 'block' problem has me stumped

I am having the same problem, (at two different houses based in leeds)
I noticed yesterday that accessing subdomains on sites were failing, being tired I took no notice but after a friend was having the same problem I have investigated.

I am able to get to some sites (including subdomains other than www.) however the site that I have found consistantly fails is support.microsoft.com, as with the previous poster messenger.hotmail.com also fails. I have also had problems with jobs.guardian.com and england.shelter.org.uk however these appear to be connecting now, these started to work after changing my dns servers from virgin to opendns

running a traceroute to support.microsoft.com gives the same an identical result to the previous poster however to messenger.hotmail.com gets a little further before failing.

interestingly enough I am able to access the support.microsoft.com at 65.54.166.122 but not the one at 207.46.248.248 (the ip my dns normally returns)

I am also fairly clueless as to why this is happening, so if anyone has suggestions ???

I have also checked the virgin service site, there is a red flag against the 'broadband' however I havent been able to find any notices.

I gave up calling them about problems years ago, this forum is much better

Cheers, Ajtag

####
#Edit
####
it could well be that http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post34615999 is related...
ajtag is offline   Reply With Quote