View Single Post
Old 21-02-2012, 20:01   #27
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Can you imagine the fuss which would ensue if £billions were spent on a water grid and then it started raining again and we discovered we didn't actually need it after all? IMHO it's largely due to the fickle nature of the pubic who demand infrastructure when it snows, rains or doesn't rain but don't want to pay for it through their taxes or prices. It was only a few years ago that we were being flooded left right and centre and people were demanding vast sums of money be spent on flood defences. The truth is these projects take many years and our climate seems to be increasingly unstable so it's going to take a brave man/woman to tell us all we're going to have to pay more in tax or whatever in order to pay for a grand scheme which may turn out to be unnecessary for the foreseeable future..
Having been born in 1960 i can well remember the drought in 1976 and since water is a very basic fact of human life ie without it we could not exist convincing people of the benefits of a national water grid i would have thought to be much easier then convincing people of a national power grid.

The climate has been very erratic as you have eluded to, some parts of the country have been flooded and some have not enough water a national water grid whilst not solving all the problems would go some way to addressing some in my view.

But i agree with you on the fickle nature of public opinion.