View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20   #4910
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
From what I've experienced then TBB is skewed more towards showing upstream utilisation and mine doesn't indicate downstream utilisation to anything like the same extent.
(Since I have Samknows then I have a relatively accurate and consistent benchmark to compare against)
Two issues at play here.

1) DOCSIS upstream is TDMA which is more prone to latency caused by utilisation - there are 2 contention points at play, contending to send your request for a grant and then waiting for the grant time to actually transmit the data.
2) DOCSIS allows large traffic bursts to request more bandwidth as part of a data burst so favours continuous large amounts of upstream traffic over small bursts such as a response to a TBB ping.

Downstream uses a scheduler at the CMTS. The pipe has to max out, with interest, in order to increase latency substantially.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote