View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50   #24
Luappy13
Inactive

Luappy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

ERR... I WENT TO POST TO THE GUY BELOW BUT IT POSTED IN HERE... ERR O WELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyo View Post
my belkin router is connected wirlessely to my laptop and via an ethernet cable to my desktop computer, it now works, but there is a problem of regular disconnection which is resolved by unplugging the power cable to the router/ and repluging back in....

does anyone know how i can stop these problems.
There are a few possible causes for disconnection on routers like this (and I am presuming you have all the correct drivers on your system for your ethernet cards):

a) Overheating (rarely a problem but a possibility)

b) Incorrect MTU settings leading to router lock/ISP disconnection (probably due to lots of fragmented packets being seen as a flood.

Fix:

Set your routers MTU (in the config pages) and ethernet (using DRTCP) to correct MTU.

To know what the correct MTU is u should use the following command line

Start > run > ping -l [value] -f www.google.com

where [value] is the packet size.

I have an MTU of 1456 so if I use the above command with 1457 [value] I get a "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set." letting me know that 1456 is correct

ping -l 1456 -f www.google.com

c) Firmware upgrade required on the router - see manufacturers site.

d) PPP Session Limits, TCP and UDP Idle timeout values being incorrect - fix... Telnet into the box and set correct values using CLI interface - You'll have to see if you can work out how to set them or find documentation on the web.

I reckon b and c are the first ones to try (in that order) but if all else fails d is going to be the only other thing you can do.

**and I know I said it at the top but make sure you have up to date ethernet card drivers :P
Luappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote