View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:36   #702
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech team View Post
Hi All,

I'm from the tech team at phorm and wanted to point you in the direction of a couple of articles that have come out that might help to clarify some of the issues that have come up on the boards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7280791.stm

You'll see that the beeb is also a little confused over the role Simon Davies (Director of Privacy Intl and MD of 80/20 Thinking) played in conducting our Privacy Impact Assessment which I have tried to clarify on another board, Political Penguin:

http://www.politicalpenguin.org.uk/b...#comment-40910

and to be doubly doubly clear: Simon Davies as a privacy consultant conducted the PIA wearing his 80/20 hat and with his fellow colleague at the LSE.
Seems your CEO is confused about PIs involvement too:

Quote:
Jim_Murray: Further, how do you respond to the statement by Professor Anderson (Cambridge University) in a This is Money article that 'if you care about yourprivacy, do not use BT, Virgin or Talk Talk'?

KentErtugrul: I believe that given the chance to fully understand our technology, Professor Anderson will reach the same conclusion as Privacy International, Ernst and Young and any number of key privacy stakeholders,
http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?10

No wonder the Beeb and consumers are confused if you own CEO has no idea what the guys involvement is.

So do PI endorse your product or not?

I've been open minded about this product until I found out my ISP can't switch it off AND I've spent some time reading your PR initiative where different answers are given by different people.

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Quote:
Dephormation.org.uk: Will the 'opt out' cookie expire? Why? After what time period? If I flush my cookies, will I need to 'opt-out' again?

MBurgess: The opt-out cookie expires after two years. Why? Two years is a LONG TIME on the Internet! Seriously though, we would consider extending the lifetime if you think it's a big issue ...

Yes, if you delete your cookies, you would need to opt out again, unless you block cookies from webwise.net, in which case you will be opted out permanently.
I can see a market for a small program that will block their cookie across browsers. That is if they're telling the truth. If they really want people to be able to opt out (and not opt out then fall through the net when the cookie is lost) then perhaps an open source program from them would be an idea.