View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38   #8
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Question Re: PS3 to surround sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Re. using the TV's optical output -

On the PS3's settings, do you have it set to output audio over HDMI as Linear PCM or Bitstream?

Video Settings > BD/DVD Audio Output (HDMI) > LPCM or Bitstream

There's also another section you can change it, which I guess is for all sound overall, not just BD/DVD playback:

Sound Settings > HDMI > Manual > Various choices including DD, DTS, AAC, & a range of LPCM options.

Mine is currently set to Linear PCM for the BD/DVD Audio (HDMI) setting, while the sound setting has been set to Automatic, which also selected LPCM. I have it hooked up to the TV via HDMI & the amp via optical. The optical connection is set to Bitstream under the optical audio output setting in Video Settings, and DD/DTS5.1 under the optical audio output setting in Sound Settings.

To carry the digital audio from the TV to the amplifier over an optical connection, it has to be Bitstream, as optical does not have the bandwidth for LPCM.

So you could try changing the above to Bitstream for the BD/DVD HDMI audio option under Video, and manually selecting DD/DTS for the HDMI audio option under Sound.

Dunno if it'll work, never tried outputting from my TV.
thanks for the reply, wow it sounds like you know your onions, i will have to re-read this to understand exactly what you mean

regarding HDMI on the PS3 i dont think you can adjust it just select it either for HDMI or optical,

the only other info i have adjusted on the ps3 is when it asks you what type of connection you want i have ticked the box's dolby digital 5.1 i think.

sorry for the lack of understanding but its hard to remember when your not stood in front of it.

i had a look on the back of my TV last night to see if there were any audio outputs and i couldnt see any, it had all kinds of input,s for pc etc, as well as the usual RGB component but i could see anything that said output..

One thing i did notice on the TV was the fact that the optical port was lit up red when the TV was switched on, which i thought may have been an output rather than an input but i dont know, i have tried from TV to amp via optical but nothing happened.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote