View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 23:16   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: PS3 to surround sound

Re. using the TV's optical output -

On the PS3's settings, do you have it set to output audio over HDMI as Linear PCM or Bitstream?

Video Settings > BD/DVD Audio Output (HDMI) > LPCM or Bitstream

There's also another section you can change it, which I guess is for all sound overall, not just BD/DVD playback:

Sound Settings > HDMI > Manual > Various choices including DD, DTS, AAC, & a range of LPCM options.

Mine is currently set to Linear PCM for the BD/DVD Audio (HDMI) setting, while the sound setting has been set to Automatic, which also selected LPCM. I have it hooked up to the TV via HDMI & the amp via optical. The optical connection is set to Bitstream under the optical audio output setting in Video Settings, and DD/DTS5.1 under the optical audio output setting in Sound Settings.

To carry the digital audio from the TV to the amplifier over an optical connection, it has to be Bitstream, as optical does not have the bandwidth for LPCM.

So you could try changing the above to Bitstream for the BD/DVD HDMI audio option under Video, and manually selecting DD/DTS for the HDMI audio option under Sound.

Dunno if it'll work, never tried outputting from my TV.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote