View Single Post
Old 13-10-2017, 17:45   #350
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Because we're leaving the world's largest single market. We're counting on a vague frictionless trade deal to compensate.

What happened before we joined is rather immaterial as we don't live in a 1950s world anymore and irrespective of what people 'felt' back then post-War Britain was not a thriving, economically successful, place anyway and pre-War we had an Empire.

And we were told by Brexiters they would be desperate for a deal. Now we're told we shouldn't want one anyway. Project Fear were warning that striking a deal with the EU, who have a vested interest in making it difficult. The only advantage we have is the recovery of the Eurozone makes them less cornered but at the same time might leave them feeling more confident.
What's the 1950's got to do with it?

All of that is just fine but based upon the EU being a better, more secure, more stable place to be and it just isn't. Look around and see what's happening there right now - politically as well as socially. In spite of all the unemployment, right wing extremism, simmering financial woes etc etc you seem to think that the EU is impervious to disaster, financial or otherwise. The UK can negotiate perfectly adequate trade deals with other nations or trade with the EU just the same as many other non-EU countries do without a trade deal. How on Earth does anyone else survive outside the EU I wonder?

Anyway there really is no point in going over this stuff again and again. I have my opinion you have yours we're not going to agree so time to call it a day methinks.