View Single Post
Old 19-02-2009, 21:01   #11
supernova31.76
Inactive

supernova31.76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No sound !!! HELP !!!! HDMI connection to PS3

I know it's a long shot that this thread might still be active, but I saw this and I'm having the exact same problem, and hoping someone could help.
I don't know much about cabling or anything technical, so sorry if this doesn't make much sense!

My tv (Phillips) has one HDMI slot and it's a HDMI-DVi. I've connected that cable as the 'output' on a HD splitter. I then have a bt vision (freeview) box connected via HDMI to HDMI cable to the Input 1 socket on the splitter, then a PS3 connected via another HDMI to HDMI cable to the Input 2 socket on the splitter . The splitter works fine.

Because of the HDMI-dvi I have audio coming via a cable which has red, white and yellow ends connected to the bt vision box (the white and red connected only) and the other end connected to audio in socket on the tv.

The Bt vision works fine in HD (audio and visual)
The PS3 however, has visual on HD but no sound.
Originally I had the supplied audio visual cable connected from PS3 to tv as well, which meant I was getting visual on HD but audio on AV - so I started changing the audio settings on the ps3 with and without the av cable plugged in but also with the HD plugged in. When I try to configure the audio settings using the HD option it says "this HDMI cable does not support audio" or something along those lines.
I don't understand why the BT vision box is working fine, but the PS3 isn't.
I went to two different high street audio visual shops today to ask for advice. One said you need to change the settings on the PS3, the other said I would have to take a complicated route by changing the digital connectors to AV, and said something about av components or something, I didn't really understand and he was a bit reluctant to go into detail! Was he talking about getting an optical splitter?

There is an SPDIF socket on the bt vision box, I assume this is for an optical cable. Would connecting one from the PS3 to the bt vision box fix the sound issue? There are no other sockets on the tv that I can see that would be compatible.
I've changed settings on the tv and ps3 with no avail.
All I want to do is watch my new bluray DVD's!
Can anyone suggest anything or maybe spot something I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
supernova31.76 is offline   Reply With Quote