View Single Post
Old 26-05-2017, 20:30   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: EPG wrong after Manchester bombing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The fallout from the attack continues as the broadcasters continue to pull programmes that they feel to be inappropriate.

This morning the BBC pulled a programme about the effects of the Omagh bombing on a father and daughter.

TV critic Kevin O'Sullivan made some interesting points this morning. He thinks that the response of the broadcasters has been "market led", but that in some other areas of life he doesn't know why Tom Cruise has cancelled the premiere of 'The Mummy' due to him feeling that it's ""inappropriate", nor why Chelsea FC have called of their victory parade this coming Sunday.

He went on to say that the day after the attack Monty Don continued with the Chelsea Flower Show (after making a statement to send condolences to the victims families) to show that they would not let the terrorists win and that life would carry on despite their atrocities.

Finally, he made the point that in the seventies it was back to normal the day after bomb attacks in Ireland.

I agree that we should not let them win, I myself flew shortly after the 9/11 attacks.

I guess what makes this different is that children were specifically targeted (although of course children have also been victims of more generalised terrorist attacks).
Yes, appalling though this was, I do think the broadcasters need to get a sense of proportion.

The BBC News At Ten has handled this very sensitively and I applaud them for that. But to cancel or re-schedule programmes because we viewers would be too traumatised to watch them is a step too far.

We should not be treated as too emotionally immature to take it - if anyone feels to upset to watch a particular programme after an event like this, they can turn off, turn the channel or record it for later.

I thought the mantra was that we won't let these 'losers' change our way of life. Isn't that exactly what they are doing?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote