View Single Post
Old 30-04-2015, 16:52   #281
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The future for linear TV channels

I said earlier that Netflix is saying that Linear channels are dying, and pointed out that being an on demand service, they have an interest in making this happen. So, in an effort to be fair, I'd like to point out that Sky are saying that Linear TV is not going away anytime soon.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...pblZjneN33O7wW

They also criticise Netflix's commissioning process which seems to rely almost exclusively on data, and seems to have little human intervention. I sort of agree with this. Humans make mistakes but they can also see if a series has potential for improvement if the viewing figures are initially disappointing.. Had they relied exclusively on data, would the BBC have renewed Black Adder? Only Fools and Horses? Both of these had bad first series, with fewer viewers.

Finally, they point out that Netflix have never published any viewing figures, so it's actually difficult to determine if a series is successful or not.

Note: I am not criticising Netflix as such. They've produced excellent programmes (Daredevil) and bad ones, but I find it odd they are not publishing viewing figures if these figures back up their preposition that On Demand TV is replacing Linear.

Before you dismiss Sky as just a Linear provider trying to shore up a failing platform, I'd like to point out that they've invested a significant amount of cash in their on demand provision, and are as active as Netflix in promoting on demand TV.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote