View Single Post
Old 26-04-2015, 21:40   #277
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Theone, you are pretty knowledgeable on most things TV (both here and in the states) related.

With these new streaming services launching in the states do you now how much they will cost? Also, do you know how much a top tier TV package equivalent to VM or Sky costs per month?

I genuinely wonder whether cord cutting will actually be a cost effective option in the future, and would like to try find out what the price difference between the two options are.

If you don't know, that's cool. I am just curious as to the costs.

In terms of discussion in relation to the thread, I will throw a couple more pennies in the pot!

In ten years time, IF cord cutting becomes the way forward and people just pay for the services of one company just to watch one series and then cancel said service for a number of months whilst they wait for the next season, I can imagine the TV companies forcing people to take minimum term contracts to stop people abusing the system.
As such (based on my idiotic thoughts), in 10 years I think it will be considerably pricier to pay for numerous streaming services opposed to my current monthly fee to watch all the same content now I could potentially watch simply by changing channel.

Also, the thought of having to stop one app, load another up and look for the relevant program will take much longer and more hassle than simply changing channel on TiVo/Sky equivalent.
Sling from Dish starts from $19.99p/m which is about £14 in uk sterlin, verizon haven't announced a price yet neither have comcast, playstation vue starts from $49.99p/m which is about £31.
I don't see full costs but i get movies, sports, tv for $15p/m which is about £10p/m this includes nbcsports, foxsports, espn, hbo, showtime, cinemax, starz, discovery, histor etc if i use the directtv login i get 90 channels available to me, using the dish hopper app i get 400+ cannels but dish is hit and miss it depends if the guys internet is behaving, xfinity i get 50 channels i find xfinity to be most reliable. The $15 i pay is for all 3 logins it was originally $30p/m but as i've been a long term and loyal customer the guy reduced it to $15p/m for me.
So if i add my broadband, Netflix, vpn and logins all together it comes to £48p/m in total.
I tend to use zingzing tv guide on my pc to see what's on then i just load up the tv service login i need it takes seconds.
For me it has certainly saved me a lot of money as equivalant pack with sky or virgin would be over £100p/m easily.
Once i get details of verizon and comcast prices i will post here

Interestingly plusnet now have a link in the members area for customers to place interest in plusnets tv service that will be powered by BT.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote