View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 14:25   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Where are we all going to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
We're going to have to capture some of the economic benefit of automatisation so that it's shared out rather than all going to Google/Apple/Microsoft/Uber. Some things that were previously expensive such as transport can likely be dramatically made cheaper, maybe even provided for free.

Also we might find new industries emerge from this process just as has happened in the past. Especially when it comes to creative industries which at the moment at least seem immune from both AI advances. I would argue the usefulness of humans doesn't lie in our ability to perform repetitive tasks anyway.
We can argue about what's useful but there going to be an awful lot of people with increasingly fewer options for jobs let alone what used to be called careers. Creative industries depend on people wanting and being able to afford what they produce. When push comes to shove, many of them will be amongst the first to suffer I'd have thought.

I'm really just wondering if, in the rush for 'progress', anyone at HQ is thinking much about the ramifications of where we're heading. If they are they're keeping it quiet but I'm always happy to be educated.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A large number will end up as Carers, not in OAP homes but in our own homes. Social Engineering has been going on, and is being tweaked by things like The Bedroom Tax, changes to Housing Benefits to the under-35's, Child Benefits only for the first 2 kids, closing council-run OAP homes, etc. Homes will become multi-generational, with the youngest looking after the eldest at minimum cost to the taxpayers. Any shortfalls in manning will be filled by the unemployed getting Benefits in exchange for social work.
I fear you're right. More and more people will be 'forced' to have 'jobs' caring for other people whether wholly or partially. Then we'll need more people to care for all the carers who can no longer care for themselves let alone anyone else. It's not an especially bright prospect is it.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote