View Single Post
Old 21-02-2011, 00:45   #12
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Superhub WiFi performance?

My particular Super Hub plays fast and loose with everything, even when you ignore the cable modem and just use the LAN side. Wireless drops and has poor range overall, wired gigabit to gigabit fast file transfers can cause hangs and overall the thing needs rebooting all the time due to weird problems. I drop it in every week or so to see if the results vary, but they never do.

I would also like to point out that these problems get worse when you connect other routers to it, with the Super Hub being the main one. In my case I run one main router and two (sometimes three) additional ones as I need a bunch of extra ethernet ports and a couple of wireless networks running on different channels (one timed for "guest" access, one all day for my own personal use) and it really makes the problem much worse. Doing multiple LAN transfers and using a P2P client while a couple of other devices stream iPlayer content made it freeze quicker than [rude metaphor deleted].

Just my experience, and bear in mind I'm a heavy user of both the LAN and WAN side. Whereas other people who have several devices connected, perhaps even more than me wirelessly, might only be doing very low bandwidth stuff. Quantity of devices isn't necessarily indicative of overall performance unless those devices are generating notable packet traffic.

Until the firmware update I'm sticking with my NTL blue Ambit 250 modem and trio of DIR-615s (main one with DD-WRT).
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote