Thread: Nuisance calls
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 15:21   #5
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nuisance calls

Something similar happened to me when I first got my VM landline. I was getting daily calls demanding to speak to someone who doesn't live here. The messages on my answerphone had a reference number, so I called them up.

Upon giving the reference number, they automatically told me the amount the person owed, without confirming whom I was. They shut up very quickly when I pointed out that was a breach of data protection act. I eventually got a manager who promised to remove me from the database. He didn't and the calls continued. Every day, between 9 and 11am, another call arrived.

I called them back again, and persuaded the person at the end of the line to give me the name of the company, and by googling I found out that they were an "arm" of a law firm, and the name of their senior partner.

I got my lawyer to send the senior partner, a cease and desist letter. Two days later, I got a personal phone call from the senior partner himself, apologizing, and gave me his personal assurance that I would be removed from the database.

I recieved no further calls. Ever.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote