View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 21:03   #6
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Anonymous caller reject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It's how it works though. It's the same on BT ( I had it on BT a few years ago). You can't stop all calls and it won't stop calls from overseas as they are not with-holding, they just don't transmit it.
DF I appreciate where you are coming from on this but anyone not transmitting their number is anonymous to the intended receipient. How else could they be correctly described?

As such, someone who is paying Virgin Media not to receive anonymous (whether intentionally withheld or not) calls has reasonable grounds and cause to expect not to receive such calls.

Luisa is not correct. He / she asserts "Anonymous Caller Rejection (ACR) only prevents a caller who is purposely stopping their number from going through".

This is patently untrue.

A bonafide caller making a call through, for example, a work exchange will not be able to reach my number whether they intended witholding their number or not.

It is clear that someone somewhere has figured a workaround and Virgin seem intent on splitting hairs over someone who intentionally withholds their number and someone who intentionally withholds their number by not transmitting it.

Either way both instances have the same end result - an anonymous (whether that be unknown / untransmitted) number being able to call a subscriber who is paying their provider for a service to prevent such calls.

Quote:
If these type of calls are a problem, then caller display would better suit as you can see if it's with-held and if they are from overseas as it says "international" on the display.
Well yes they are a problem because I'm paying not to receive them. I don't want the bother of having to screen my calls when I'm paying someone else to (supposedly) do it.

Quote:
Luisa is correct on the VM forum too.
I beg to differ, as indeed does does ibstockpeter, obviously.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
As DF says above these offshore call centres do not supply an ID and therefore slip through the net regardless of provider, also some UK companies use this when calling you so they leave no number for you to callback.

It can also be to do with the routing as certain operators will choose the cheapest route for your call, so for instance you could have a friend in Ireland call you but the system checks all switches and could route that call via Hong Kong or anywhere because the rate is the cheapest and sometimes because of that the number you see in caller display or even 1471 do not match the number they called from, complicated not half.
Thanks for that insight Masque.

In effect they're offering a service they can't provide.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote